The Berrigan Show has been cancelled in 2020, for only the eighth time in the event’s 122 year history.
The show was scheduled to be held Sunday, October 4.
When meeting last week, members of the Berrigan Agricultural & Horticultural Society committee could not commit to hosting the event under the current Coronavirus restrictions.
They were not confident there would be a change in guidelines before the event came around.
Committee secretary Lyndall Horne said the cancellation of the show was ‘‘unfortunate’’, but that the health of stakeholders had to be the top priority.
‘‘Due to the continuing uncertainty regarding COVID-19 and government restrictions that are yet to be lifted, it is impossible to effectively plan our show given it is just three months away,’’ Mrs Horne said.
‘‘While this decision is difficult and very disappointing, we feel this is the most responsible action to ensure the health and safety of our volunteers, committee, exhibitors and attendees.
‘‘We also felt we could not ask our sponsors for sponsorship when they themselves are going through a difficult time.
‘‘We would like to thank them for their continued support over the years and would welcome them back next year.
‘‘Thank you also to our volunteers who give so generously of their time each year, and our community groups who not only ably assist us to function, but who use the show as a major fundraiser for their own organisations.’’
Before now, only the flood in 2016 and World War II has led to the cancellation of the show.
‘‘We thank everyone for your patience, understanding and ongoing support,’’ Mrs Horne said.
‘‘We will be in contact with our stakeholders in due course.
‘‘We are looking forward to bringing back a bigger and better annual show on Sunday, October 3 2021, with the involvement and support from the committee, volunteers and broader community.
‘‘We look forward to presenting a spectacular show in 2021.’’